Physics 101, 010209 First part Quiz id AA
- Ten seconds after starting from rest, an object falling freely downward will have a speed of about: A) 10 m/s. B) 50 m/s. C) 100 m/s . D) more than 100 m/s.
- One object has twice as much mass as another object. The first object also has twice as much:
A) inertia . B) volume. C) velocity. D) gravitational acceleration. E) all of these.
- 4) If the speed of a moving object doubles, then what else doubles? A) kinetic energy B) momentum C) acceleration D) all of these E) none of these
- 5) Which has zero acceleration? An object: A) in mechanical equilibrium B) moving at constant velocity. C) at rest. D) all of these. E) none of these.
- As an object freely falling downward, its:
A) velocity increases. B) acceleration increases. C) both of these. D) none of these
- A 10-N falling object encounters 10 N of air resistance. The net force on the object is:
A) 0 N. B) 4 N. C) 6 N. D) 10 N. E) none of these.
- Put a pipe over the end of a wrench when trying to turn a stubborn nut on a bolt, to effectively make the wrench handle twice as long, you'll multiply the torque by : A) two B) four. C) eight.
- A ball tossed vertically upward rises, reaches its highest point, and then falls back to its starting point. During this time the acceleration of the ball is: A)` always opposite its velocity. B) directed upward. C) in the direction of motion. D) directed downward.
- A job is done slowly, while an identical job is done quickly. Both jobs require the same amount of work but different amounts of; A) energy. B) power. C) both of these. D) none of these.
- A player catches a ball. Consider the action force to be the impact of the ball against the player's glove. The reaction to this force is the: A) muscular effort in the player's arms. B) force the glove exerts on the ball. C) player's grip on the glove. D) friction of the ground against the player's shoes. E) none of these.
- Your weight is: A) the gravitational attraction between you and the Earth. B) actually your mass. C) a property of mechanical equilibrium. D) all of these. E) none of these.
- A force of 1N accelerates a mass of 1 kg at the rate of 1 m/s2. The acceleration of a mass of 2 kg acted upon by a net force of 2 N is: A) twice as much. B) the same . C) half as much D) none of these.
- The force on an apple hitting the ground depends upon: A) whether or not the apple bounces. B) the speed of the apple just before it hits. C) the time of impact with the ground. D) all of these.
- A 50-kg sack is lifted 2 meters in the same time as a 25-kg sack is lifted 4 meters. The power expended in raising the 50-kg sack compared to the power used to lift the 25-kg sack is: A) the same. B) twice as much. C) half as much
- An object travels 8 meters in the first second of travel, 8 meters again during the second second of travel, and 8 meters again during the third second. Its acceleration in meters per second per second is: A) 0. B) 5. C) 8. D) 10. E) more than 10.
- A package falls off a truck that is moving at 30 m/s. Neglecting air resistance, the horizontal speed of the package just before it hits the ground is: A)more than 30 m/s. B) about 30 m/s. C)less than 30 m/s but larger than zero. D)zero. E) more information needed for an estimate.
- Two identical freight cars roll without friction (one at 1 m / s, the other at 2 m / s) toward one another on a level track They collide, couple together, and roll away in the direction that: A) the faster car was initial going B) the slower car was initially going. C) neither of these - they stop.
- A river 100 m wide flows due south. A boat that goes 1 m/s relative to the water is pointed due east as it crosses from the west bank The boat crosses in: 50 s. B) 200 s. C) 141 s. D) 100 s.
- Suppose a certain carnival has a Ferris wheel where the seats are located halfway between the center and outside rim. Compared to an ordinary Ferris wheel where the seats on are on the outside rim, your angular speed while riding on this Ferris wheel would be: A) the same and your tangential speed less. B) more and your tangential speed less. C) less and your tangential speed more.
- 2) Do 100 J of work in 50 s and your power output is: A) 1/4 W. B) 1/2 W. C) 2 W. D) 4 W. E more than 4 W.