Class Exercise Jan 30
Question: A charge Q = 6m C is at point P1 with coordinates x = 2 m , y = 1 m. Find the electric field at point P2 with coordinates x = 1 m , y = 2 m. Find the force on a charge q = -2m C placed at point P2.
1. Draw a clear diagram showing points P1 and P2 .
3. Find the components of the vector r.
From the triangle in the diagram, the x-component is - 1m and the y
component is + 1m.
4. Find the value of r2. Don't forget to include the
r2 = (1m)2 + (1m)2 = 2 m2
5. Use Coulomb's law to calculate the electric field at point P2.
Remember that electric field is a vector. Draw the vector on your
diagram with its tail at point P2.
6. Calculate the force on the charge q.