99% of the universe is plasma! (We live in the other 1%) In this course we shall learn about Plasma Physics, emphasizing applications in Astrophysics, space physics and laboratory systems. Topics to be covered include waves, including Langmuir waves, EM waves and MHD waves, magnetohydrodynamics, selected topics in non-linear systems and Vlasov theory.
Text: Francis Chen - Introduction to Plasma Physics- Plenum Press.
Supplementary notes and articles.
Grading is to be based on class participation, homework problems, a mid-term examination and a term paper.
Class will be offered Tu TH 2:10-3:25 pm in TH 428 Spring
You can look at some neat pictures of plasma in the sun.
Detailed class schedule