Physics & Astronomy
Star Office Suite
StarOffice is the Unix compatibility answer to the MS Office programs,
and is available for downloading free of charge from
Here is their description of it:
- Key Applications:
The StarOffice 5.2 productivity suite includes
word processing, spreadsheet, and presentation
applications. It also has support for AutoPilot
Web page design software, 3D graphics, diagrams, HTML
editing, and calendar, newsgroup, browser, email and
scheduler, photo editing, and other applications.
- Key Specifications:
A complete set of rich, easy-to-use office
productivity tools in a unified desktop
environment makes it easy to share documents with friends
and colleagues using MS Office applications.
StarOffice 5.2 software can be downloaded free of charge from
the Web and is available in 11 languages.
- Key Benefits:
- Interoperability with other desktop productivity suites, including
- Support for Solaris[tm] Operating
Environment, MS-Windows, and Linux operating systems
- An intuitive graphical interface that's easy
to learn and use.
- Solaris 8, 7, or 2.6 Operating Environment; or
- MS-Windows 95, 98, NT, 2000; or
- Linux kernel 2.0.x or higher
- 256-color or higher monitor
This software package is installed on the Physics and Astronomy
Linux-based computers in TH 123. It is hoped that its functionality
will replace that of the Microsoft programs previously available.