- 2009.07.20 Alumna Vivian White is mentioned in the SF Chronicle as she helps NASA-Ames celebrate the Apollo anniversary.
- 2009.05.15: We are pleased to welcome our new astronomy support staff member Dr. James Gibson.
- 2009.04.24: Discovery of helium-core
white dwarfs in NGC 6397 by Professor Adrienne Cool's research group
- 2009.04.13: Special seminar on
Careers in Teaching and Outreach connects SF State
students and alumni.
- 2008.09.20: The Physics and Astronomy Department welcomes new tenure-track faculty members Andisheh Mahdavi (extragalactic astronomy) and Weining Man (condensed matter physics).
- 2008.07.13: Roger Bland and his acoustics research is mentioned in the San Francisco Chronicle.
- 2007.11.06: Debra Fischer and group discover the first five-planet system. Read more about this latest discovery from their group website, NY Times, The Washington Post, or read the publication found in ADS.
- 2007.08.20: The Physics & Astronomy Department welcome their newest faculty member, Dr. Joe Barranco, from the Harvard-Smithsonian Center for Astrophysics. Read the CampusMemo here.
- 2007.07.31: KQED TV, "Planet Hunters," featuring Debra Fischer; 7:30 PM Tuesday July 31, 2007
- 2007.04.16: Recent results from research by Jim Lockhart and the Gravity Probe B group.
- 2007.03.05: An article in the Golden Gate [X]press interviewing Michelle Krok about the planetarium.
- 2006.06.30: Debra Fischer, Nassim Bozorgnia, Chris McCarthy and group discover a transiting exoplanet with the largest known solid core. View the publication details from ADS here.
- 2004.07.15: Publications by Zhigang Chen, Igor Makasyuk and Anna Bezryadina: two papers in Optics Letters.
- Telescope time awarded to Adrienne Cool:
ChaMPlane: Measuring the Faint X-ray Binary and stellar X-ray Content of the Galaxy (2000B-0036, PI: Grindlay) KP-rm (2n) Monitoring a Probably Dwarf Nova in the Core of M22 (2004B-0477, PI: Cool) CT - 1.3m (2n)
- Telescope time awarded to Debra Fischer:
Mapping the Realm of Hot Jupiters (2004B-0016, PI: Fischer) Keck-I (1.5 n)
- 2004.03.12: CD of songs based on Donald Rumsfeld's poetry, featuring Soprano Elender Walls (BA in physics, SFSU, ca. 1993); lyrics and clips at http://www.stuffedpenguin.com
- 2004.04.03: Whale sounds recorded by Michael Hoffman and Roger Bland were played on NPR: http://www.npr.org/rundowns/segment.php?wfId=1810949
- 2004.03.25: Two papers from Zhigang Chen's group appeared a single issue of Physical Review Letters! One (the vortex one) is featured in the cover. The other (Hector Martin's 2D discrete soliton paper) is here.
- 2004.01.28: SFSU reporting on Ron Marzke's research
- 2004.01.08: Announcement of new results by Ron Marzke's research group: Gemini Project Press Release, USA Today, Associated Press.
- 2004.01: Review in Physics Today of Zhigang Chen's work with Hector Martin. See Fig. 4 for their data.
- KPIX Evening Edition short piece on Gravity Hills featuring Susan English, Andy Danielsen and Roger Bland.